Thursday, January 14, 2010

Searching for a grapefruit spoon

The grapefruit have looked great in the store, so I decided to buy one. Sharon can only have grapefruit every now and then. We have a grapefruit cutter (even has it's own case). Went to get the grapefruit spoon to eat it (easier to get the sections out even after cutting) and couldn't find one. We had 6 before. Somehow the spoons didn't get from the house to the camper. Oh well, I'll just go buy a couple more next time we go into town or so I thought.

So last week on the trip into town day, went to Walmart. No grapefruit spoons. Target, no grapefruit spoons. Walgreens - no spoons. Grocery store - no spoons. O.k. I'll just peel it.

Yesterday was the town trip again. Looked up addresses for all the "dollar" stores within 20 miles - didn't want to travel too far out of the way. You know the ones, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, etc. Thought we might be able to find the grapefruit spoons there. I hadn't totally given up looking for the spoons.

Armed with the addresses, Walmart list and grocery list. Off we went. First stop was the post office. Some day I should blog about the post office located in the middle of nowhere. Nice office and people, though. Plugged in the first address for Family Dollar. Only 15 minutes away. Sounds good. Have I mentioned how much I love our GPS unit. Off we went. Oops, along the way we saw a Dollar General. Better stop, this just may be the store. The store was on a side road and we were on a divided highway. No, I didn't jump the ditch. Just turned right at the next intersection and followed the road back. No grapefruit spoons but filled the Walmart list. At least it wasn't a total waste. Needed a pit stop. Nice Shell station across the road. Excellent cappucino machine, too.

O.k. back on track to Family Dollar. Did I mention it was a little drizzly yesterday. When the GPS says turn left you should really pay attention even when you think it doesn't make sense. After about a mile, going around the block, and heading back we made a right turn where we originally should have made a left turn. There it was right next to the Home Depot. Couldn't see it the first time due to the LARGE Home Depot sign - according to Sharon.

No grapefruit spoons but found a coffee cup. O.k. what next. My mistake, I asked Sharon. Remember this next step was Sharon's idea not mine. She said, let's go to the Tanger Outlet mall - there was a kitchen store there. So I tried finding it on the GPS. Couldn't find anything. Then, remembered that the mall was in San Marcos not San Antonio. Found it and we're off. Just a mere 45 minute drive and interstate all the way.

By the time we arrived, we were hungry - it was around 1:00 pm. There was a Cracker Barrel at the entrance. Later, we saw an Outback Steakhouse. Have always wanted to eat at Outback but haven't done it yet. After eating pecan pancakes (me) and chicken potpie (Sharon) we went in search of the Kitchen store. This mall was huge. We discovered there are actually two outlet malls - Tanger and Prime. First, we found the Kitchen store - and yes, we did find the grapefruit spoons. 4 in a package for 4.99. Then we started driving around. On the weekends, they have a trolley that rides around both malls. The stores were unbelievable. Wished we had a little more money or more room. I think the space thing won. Some of the stores: Bose, Sony, Crabtree and Evelyn, Crate and Barrel, William and Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Coach, Wilson's, Armani, and that's just to name a few. If memory serves us correctly - a total of 108 stores. This was even better than going to the Mall of America. Parking spaces were easy to find - even for the truck. Weekends are probably swamped.

A few pictures of one part of this mall.





Had a great time. Decided we could get groceries tomorrow. Arrived back around 5:00. Sharon wants me to add that this message not "approved" by her. But I want you to know that she laughed while reading it and nodded her head a few times. Notice I stated nodded not shook.

No comments:

Post a Comment